Friday 6 March 2009

The Kingdom Comes

I'm really looking forward to Sunday's game, i'm sure there will be a great attendance in Bellaghy. It's a long road for the Kerry supporters but no doubt there will be a few die hards that make it up by hook or by crook.

Take Dan for example, I get a phone call to the office on Monday morning. The thick southern accent threw me a bit, "Hello Chris, how's the form?" I hate asking on the phone who it is so I play along.
"I'm grand, how's it going with yourself?"
"Aye sure not too bad now, I have just booked flights from Dublin to Derry for the game on Sunday, would I be able to get a bus over to the game?" I'm thinking to myself who is this anyway, maybe it's one of the Ogra lads who have moved south and quicky got rid of the accent.
Anyway "Jesus you'll get no buses going to Bellaghy from the Airport, it's a right run maybe 40 minutes are so"
"Aye Jaysus Chris your joking me, is the game not in Derry City?"
"No, it's in South Derry"
"What am I going to do, sure I've just paid 100 euro for the ticket?"
"Sorry but who is this?"
"It's Dan from kerry" Nothing else just Dan from Kerry.
"Dan, you'll have to get a lift"

So I get thinking, who would be up there that would take this man down to Bellaghy and back up again sharp after (he was very persistent on this) to get his flight at 7pm. I get my thinking cap on walk into the other office and there is Dan's lift sitting in front of me, Derry's very own Pauline McLaughlin. If i'm stuck Pauline usually come's up with the goods and she has pulled one out of the bag this time too!

I get on the phone to Dan (he could talk for Ireland) and let him know the arrangements, needless to say he's delighted and he'll be landing into Eglinton in his green and gold. That's just one example of a true GAA man trying his best to make it right up the Country to follow his beloved Kerry. Surely we can all make the trip to Bellaghy to cheer on the lads and make it a day to remember! Under 16's get in free so pick up the waynes or the neighbours lads and get them all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment